Apr 22, 2008

So, how was it?

If you keep track of what is going on here, you would know that I went to a marine base for this Passover dinner.
It was really nice and different... but I will start from the beginning.
In order to get there I tried to find out which bus should I take - and indeed - I took the right bus. But the gate wes closed!
So after walking aimlessly for half a hour, I found some guys that told me where the only open gate is. so I started walking - quite a lot. Uphill. And with nice clothes for the dinner...
Finally I got to the gate (after getting a lift from a marine from a near by gate). Apparantly, in order to get in, the guy that invited me had to come and get me from the gate.
So I tried to call him. No answer... oh, dear... I tried to talk to the security guy - nothing, had to get the man here. Tried to call again (remmember - I am calling a Rabbi's house on a holiday eve). Luckily - someone answered - a friend of the Rabbi who isn't Jewish, but was invited to the dinner. He came to pick me up... Lucky! I was sure for a moment that after all the trouble of getting there, I will have to go back just like this.
OK - so here I am at the Seder. There were about 15 people - most of them marines (no uniforms, though), some wives. Surprisingly, one of the wives was an Israeli, which means I was able to speak Hebrew. Yey!
The Seder itself was quite interesting. Except from the blessings, everything was in English, so suddenly it clearifies the meanning of everything, because you actually listen to the words. Sadly, though, most of the time there were no music to the lyrics...
Besides that the Rabbi talked about the meanning of Passover and asked questions. It was really interesting and nice. He also gave prizes to people who answered good answers - kind of Torah thong. real nice (Yes, I got one... I am so smart ;)

So thats it for now, tomorrow I will probably finish a few more things with the appartment, so wish me good luck.

Yiftach.

5 comments:

Eli said...

הי !, חזרתי אכשיו מכנס בן שלוש ימים חסר מחשב או מקלחת אבל אכשיו הכל בסדר :) ... אני מחזק את ידך לגבי הקרב שלך עם הבירוקרטיה בבסיס הצבאי, אני שמח שהצלחתה להביא את הכל לטובה לבסוף :) . זה בטח נחמד לדבר גם עברית, גם יפנית וגם אנגלית באותו ערב - כמה ניבים יש להם ביפן ? כלומר אם אני גר בקצה הדרומי של יפן ועולה למעלה האם יש שם שפה כמעט שונה לחלוטין באי נידח שבצפון או שאני בסך הכל אבין הכל .

Y. Raphael said...

The language is the same language... You will understand everything - except maybe the different strret talking...

Anonymous said...

הי, נשמע כמו חוויה די מגניבה..
לא יודע אם ראית שפתחנו אתר לתמונות של החברה, אז גם יש לך שם תמונות לראות, וגם ברגע שתהיה לך מצלמה נשמח לתמונות !

Y. Raphael said...

I did get the messege... Sadly I cannot install anything on the computers here, so here is yet another reason for waiting for the adaptor...

Unknown said...

אני די בטוח שזה אחד הסיפורים הכי מוזרים ששמעתי על פסח וגם אחד המגניבים, עכשיו אני מבין מאיפה יש מצות ביפן :)
אז אם אנחנו כבר בנושא של אוכל באמת מעניין אותי איך אתה שורד שם ואם נסית איזה מאכל משונה?
חוץ מזה אם אתה יכול קצת לתאר את המקום זה יהיה נחמד
נשמע שממש מעניין שם ושאתה לא סובל שזה נראה לי אנדרסטייטמנט בטירוף
אז מקווה לשמוע עוד הרבה ממך
ותבלה